UCB Libraries

Reference Services

How to Access Library Services

Checking Out Books

Present your Buff OneCard at the appropriate Circulation Desk. If you do not have your Buff OneCard in hand, you may still check out materials if you have a valid picture ID (e.g., driver’s license).


Self-checkout machines (currently found at Norlin and the Business Library) can only be used with a Buff OneCard.

On-line Services

Most services offered through Chinook, the Libraries on-line catalog, require that you authenticate with your Identikey login and password. Examples include:

Electronic Reserves
ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan) -- electronic Interlibrary Loan request system
My Chinook -- access to your circulation account
PASCAL Requests -- materials from the remote storage facility
Prospector -- a unified catalog of twenty three academic, public and special libraries in Colorado and Wyoming

Some on-line services, however, still require that you enter your name and ID number.

What happens if I lose my Buff OneCard?

Contact the Buff OneCard Office. Currently, there is a $5.00 charge to replace a Buff OneCard you surrender, $20.00 to replace a lost card. When you are assigned a new Buff OneCard, the number is changed. While the Libraries eventually do receive updated Buff OneCard information, there is sometimes a delay of several months. If your Buff OneCard has been lost or stolen, you should contact the Circulation Department immediately at norcirc@colorado.edu. We will then disable your old card number and enable your new one at the same time.

Will I be able to check out a book if I forget my Buff OneCard?

Yes, if you have another valid picture ID. You will not, however, be able to use the self-checkout machines.

What if I don’t have a Buff OneCard?

Contact the Buff OneCard Office. The Buff OneCard is your official university identification and as a student or employee you are required to carry it with you whenever you are on campus. Your Buff OneCard must be presented upon the request of any university official. As a regularly enrolled student or a regularly employed staff person, your first card is free.