The Libraries subscribe to numerous databases and choosing the right article database can be difficult. There are numerous types of databases some will provide citations and abstracts, some will also include full text, some will link to reference materials, and more.
- General and Interdisciplinary databases: These databases are a good starting point when you are new to your topic. They often include scholarly and popular sources as well as material from a variety of disciplines and perspetives. For Example: Academic Search Premier
- Subject or Discipline Databases: These databases will help you find material from specific disciplines. They provide more in-depth and focused research. For Example:Anthropology Plus or ATLA Religion Database
- Format Specific Databases: These databases are narrowed to specific types of material, such as newspapers, statistics, images, biographies etc. For Example: ProQuest newspapers
you connecting from off-campus?
Academic Search Premier CU
Provides full text articles from scholarly, trade, and general- interest publications for nearly all academic areas of study.
Art Full Text and Art Retrospective CU
Art Index is a bibliographic database that indexes and abstracts articles from periodicals published throughout the world. Periodical coverage includes English-language periodicals, yearbooks, and museum bulletins.
ARTbibliographies Modern CU
Provides full abstracts of journal articles, books, essays, exhibition catalogs, PhD dissertations, and exhibition reviews on all forms of modern (late 19th century) and contemporary art, including photography since its invention. Entries date back as far as the late 1960s. The coverage of ABM is wide-ranging and includes performance art and installation works, video art, computer and electronic art, body art, graffiti, artists' books, theatre arts, conservation, crafts, ceramic and glass art, ethnic arts, graphic and museum design, fashion, and calligraphy, as well as traditional media including illustration, painting, printmaking, sculpture, and drawing.
Art Index CU
Index of leading publications in the world of arts. Coverage: 1984-present.
Film and Television Literature Index CU
A comprehensive bibliographic database covering the entire spectrum of television and film writing. It has been designed for use by a diverse audience that includes film scholars, college students, and general viewers. Subject coverage includes film & television theory, preservation & restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews.
Humanities Abstracts CU
This database provides references for periodical information in the humanities subject area. Coverage: February 1984-present.
MLA Directory of Periodicals CU
MLA International Bibliography is produced by the Modern Language Association. Index to articles in literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore from several thousand journals and series published worldwide. Coverage: 1963-present.
Reviews and news items
Newspapers are often the best source of information for contemporary artists. Like with the other databases, use the name of your artist as your keyword. Be careful when searching for films, you will yield mostly reviews.
1. Enter Search Terms - keywords, artists name
2. Search Within - Major US and World Publications
3. Specify Date - automatic default is 2 years, change to All Available Dates if 2 years does not yield results
CU = Available to CU affiliates only.
How to connect from home: Remote access information.