BCOR 2500: Introduction to Operations and Information ManagementThis is the guide for the BCOR 2500, it follows the same steps illustrated in class.
- Step 1:
- Step 2:
- Step 3:
- Step 4:
- Step 5:
It does not need to be elegent or complex, it can be very simple. I need resources on ecommerce is a good start.
Getting Background Information
While Wikipedia is NOT a good source for your final paper, there is nothing wrong with checking out these entries and getting a broad overview of a particular area. The quality of entries varies though, so be wary.
Reference Universe CU
Reference Universe lets you search the index and table of contents of reference materials available in print and online here in the CU-Boulder libraries. Unlike Wikipedia all the sources in this resource will be authoritative and complete.
Thinking of Terms
When conducting a search it is often good to break down your topic before you get started. You can use the Search Worksheet demonstrated in class for this.
Tips: Remember to think of your terms both broadly and narrowly. For example, if you are studying banking, then that would be part of the broader financial industry. More narrowly you might focus in on credit unions, online banks, etc.
Think about what you are looking for...
- Do you think that this is something studied in scholarly literature? If so, then look for journal articles.
- Is this a new topic? Try trade journals and newspapers.
- Trying to find information on a particular company or industry? Look for company or industry reports.
Find Articles & More links to the databases that the library subscribes to and under the link for Business are a number of databases that might be useful. The categories listed might help you think of what types of resources that you might need. If you prefer to browse only the business databases, you can check out this A-Z list.
As discussed in the previous step, it is important to consider what you need before you dive into a database, the areas listed below are where you will probably find the majority of the resources you need, but remember if you aren't finding something contact the library.
- Chinook, the library catalog
- Business Library Home page
- Business - Company Information
- Business - Consumer Information
- Business - Ethics
- Business - Finance and Financial Information
- Business - Industry Information
- Business - International Business
- Business - Journals/Newspaper Articles
- Business - Management
- Business - Marketing and Advertising Information
- Business - Statistics
- Business - Tax/Accounting
- Meet your needs.
- Are accurate and valid.
- Are a suitable resource for your project.
- Are timely.
Didn't find what you wanted? Go back to step 1 and start the process over.
- Prove the validity of your research.
- Pragarism is a violation of the honor code.
- Legally and ethically, you need to cite any information not originally created by you.
Guide to Citations and Citation Management
Guide to Refworks
In personJennie Gerke: Office hours 3-5 Monday or by appointment
Library Reference Desk: 11-3 Mon-Friday
Using the box to the right, you can request assistance during the hours we are logged on.
Directly at email@example.com or use the form provided below.
Use this form to send us a message. Response time may vary, but is usually less than 24 hours on weekdays.
Chat is offline.
If we are off-line, leave a message using the form below.
Response time may vary, but is usually less than 24 hours on weekdays.