Business Resources for Entrepreneurial ArtistThis guide will link you up with various resources to help you conduct your research in Business for this class.
- Market and
Industry Survey/Market Research
- Hoover's CU provides a number of industry reports and has a lot of information on companies working in your particular area.
- Mintel CU provides market research containing information on consumer trends, demographic profiles, brand share dynamics and market drivers.
Trade publications are written by the individuals working in a particular field and can provide a wealth of information on how the work actually is conducted.
- ABI/Inform CU you can focus in on trade journals by entering your terms and choosing "Trade Journals" under Source Type.
- Business Source Complete CU you can search only trade journals by clicking "Trade Publications" under publication type.
- Business and Industry CU the majority of the publications in here are trade press, so there is no need to limit your search.
The best source for finding data on your competition is ReferenceUSA CU, which has a wealth of local information.
BUT if you are looking at larger public companies check out:
Company profiles include links to relevant trade articles, market research reports, SWOT analysis, rankings, and company history.
Good for public or private companies. Many small businesses are covered, though the profile may be limited to a sentence or less. Larger company descriptions are written by Hoover's staff.
The quickest and easiest way to find tables is to use the database TableBase CU as the name suggests it is simply a collection of tables on a variety of topics.
If you want to do more in-depth analysis, here are a few resources to check out:
- American Factfinder is a database containing all of the information gathered by the census bureau, some goes down to the zip code level.
- Proquest Statistical CU is a in-depth collection of reports and tables from associations, governments and private sources.
- Simmons NCS CU is a collection of media and market audience data. Two cautions: This is a database that is much easier to understand if you have some experience manipulating data.
Jennie Gerke: Office hours 3-5 Monday or
Library Reference Desk: 11-3 Mon-Friday
Using the box to the right, you can request assistance during the hours we are logged on.
Directly at email@example.com or use the form provided below.
Chat is offline.
If we are off-line, leave a message using the form below.
Response time may vary, but is usually less than 24 hours on weekdays.