Benson Earth Sciences Building
Bruce D. Benson, born on the 4th of July in 1938, graduated from the University of Colorado in 1964 where he studied petroleum geology. He is the owner and President of Benson Mineral Group, Inc. which began as an oil and gas production company and then expanded business operations to banking, real estate, cable, and food service franchises. Benson is also President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board of United States Exploration, Inc., a public company.
Among his numerous community activities, Benson chaired the Colorado Commission on Higher Education and was the Republican nominee for Governor in 1994. He served as President and Chairman of the Denver Area Boy Scouts and currently serves as the President of the Denver Zoo. He and his wife, Marcy, recently agreed to chair CU's Campaign for the Total Learning Environment.
For over three decades, Benson has served as a tireless volunteer on behalf of the Geological Sciences Department and the University of Colorado. He led the fundraising drive to raise funds for construction of this much needed facility.
In recognition of the generous gift from the Benson family and in honor of the vision, leadership, and dedication of Bruce Benson, this academic center will be called the Benson Earth Sciences Building.
Opened in 1999, this 87,000 square foot building houses the Geological Sciences and the Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences and Map Library. It has five levels including the basement. The building features a three story stone atrium with a glass roof and contains a 11,000 square foot library, departmental offices, a 175 seat centrally scheduled classroom, a large lecture hall, faculty offices and laboratories.
The building is located to the south of Colorado Avenue across from the stadium and Franklin field. It is between Duane Physics and Gemill Mathematics.