Chinese Studies Internet Resources
This guide describes and links to freely available electronic resources that are important sources of information for research in the field of Chinese Studies.
It lists two types of frequently used resources: one is basic reference tools, under which dictionaries, encyclopedias, biographies, maps, calendars etc. are listed for answering straightforward questions; Second type is for locating sources, such as books, articles, dissertations, or even full text or images, where resources are listed under different tabs "Bibliographies," "Catalogs," "Periodical Indexes," and "Dissertations," etc.
- Full Text Databases
- Online Journals
- 中国国家图书馆馆藏博士论文库--Contains bibliographic data on over 170,000 doctoral dissertations held by the National Library of China. Also offers full text of the first 24 pages of each title.
- 臺灣博碩士論文知識加值系統--Created by the National Central Library of Taiwan, this database provides bibliographic data on thesis and dissertations from Taiwan. Abstract, table of content, reference, as well as full text of some titles are also available.
- HKLIS Dissertations & Theses Collections--An online union collection of Hong Kong postgraduate students’ doctoral and master dissertations and theses indexed in the online catalogues of seven university libraries in Hong Kong.
- 典藏國際漢學博士論文摘要資料庫--Provides citations and abstracts to about 9,000 doctorial dissertations from North America and West Europe that are held by the Center for Chinese Studies at Taiwan.
- Hong Kong University Theses Online--Contains 8,219 titles of theses and dissertations submitted for higher degrees to the University of Hong Kong since 1941, covering subjects in the arts, humanities, education and the social, medical and natural sciences. Many of the works deal entirely with or focus on subjects relating to Hong Kong. Full text could be downloaded when fill in the Copyright Acknowledgement form.
- CNKI中国博士学位论文全文数据库--Contains over 50,000 doctoral dissertations completed since 1999. Updated daily. Full text are not available without subscription, but bibliographic data can be viewed.
- CNKI中国优秀硕士学位论文全文数据库--Contains over 370,000 master's thesis completed since 1999. Updated daily. Full text are not available without subscription, but bibliographic data can be viewed.
- 中央研究院漢籍電子文獻--Currently has the following databases free for use:
- 故宮[寒泉]古典文獻全文索引資料庫--Currently includes the following texts:
- 中国国家图书馆特色资源库--The National Digital Library of China provides centralized access to locally created digital collections of e-books, doctoral dissertations, resources from the Republican Era, local gazetteers, as well as images of new year pictures, inscriptions on oracle bones, stone inscription ect.The Local Gazetteers collection and the Resources from the Republican Era colletion provides full text access. The E-book collection and Doctoral Dissertation collection offers only the first 24 pages of each title.
- 电子佛典协会 Chinese Buddhist Electronic Text Association (CBETA)--Contains online version of the sutras: 《大正新脩大藏經》(大藏出版株式會社) vol. 1-85, and 《新纂大日本續藏經》(株式會社國書刊行會) vol. 1-90. Searchable, browsable and downloadable.
- Chinese Philosophical etext Archive--Electronic version of Chinese philosophical texts, focusing on Confucian and Confucian-inspired texts from the 11th century C.E. to the present.
- 郭店楚简--Searchable database of 張光裕's 《郭店楚簡研究》. Also provides searchable bibliography on studies on the Chu Bamboo Strips of Guodian.
- Confucius2000--a collection of articles on Confucianism and Taoism by contemporary Chinese scholars.
- 國立臺灣大學文學院佛學數位圖書館暨博物館 Digital Library & Museum of Buddhist Studies--Contains fulltext Buddhist Sutras in Chinese, Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Pali, as well as fulltext of Journals and Books, language lessons on Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, and multimedia resources.
- 烈女傳--Online version of the 新刊古列女傳八卷 （劉向質編撰 顧凱之圖）, both text resources and image resources. Also provides introduction of the text by Anne Behnke Kinney, Professor of Chinese at University of Virginia.
- McGill-Harvard-Yenching Library Ming-Qing Women’s Writings Digitization Project--Online digital archive of writings by women from the Ming-Qing period held by the Harvard-Yenching Library. Besides scanned images of 90 texts, the database also allows browsing and searching by a number of features besides title and author, such as poetic form, marital status, tune pattern, and native region. Terms may be entered in pinyin or traditional characters.
- 故宮東吳數位古今圖書集成--Online version of the 古今圖書集成, based on 故宮博物院典藏雍正四年銅字活版本.
- Princeton East Asian library Digital medical Texts--As part of a Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation funded digitization project, Princeton East Asian Library has made some of its rare medical titles, or rare editions of medical titles available online.
- Thesaurus Linguae Sericae(TLS) 漢學文典--Edited by a large group of scholars from China, U.S. and Europe, this database provides a corpus of classical Chinese texts wherever possible with interlinear translations.
- Asia Major--Published by the Institute of History and Philology of the Academia Sinica, Taiwan. It is a continuation of Asia Major, New Series, published in England from 1949 to 1975. It covers all periods of Chinese history, literature, ideas, and culture in general. All articles since 1924 are fully available on-online in PDF format, with the exception of the most recent volume
- 漢學研究 2000.06-2006.06
- 漢學研究通訊 2000.02-2006.05
- 香港文學資料庫--Database of literature from Hong Kong. Contains full text of articles on Hong Kong literature that appeared in 54 journals and 6 newspapers.
- 玲瓏 women's magazine 1931-1937
- Digital Scrolling Paintings Project--Initiated by the Center for the Art of East Asia at University of Chicago, this is a database of Chinese handscroll paintings in a scrolling digital formatcurrently, 12 scrolls are available.
- 歷史語言研究所藏漢代石刻畫像拓本資料庫--Contains image of over 1,500 rubbings from stone-engraved portraits dating back to the Han Dynasty. Seachable and also can be browsed by location or topic.