Subject Guide for Open AccessGeneral Information | Directories & Repositories | Organizations | Statements & Mandates | Open Access at CU
- The Effect of Open Access and Downloads ('Hits') on Citation Impact: A Bibliography of Studies
Overview of evidence indicating that open access increases the scholarly impact of research.
- Digital Scholarship
Website produced and maintained by Charles W. Bailey, which includes commentaries, news, and bibliographies related to open access and scholarly communication.
- (Mis)Leading Open Access Myths
An overview from BioMedCentral on misconceptions related to open access publishing.
- Open Access Publication of Medical and Scientific Research: a Public Library of Science Background Paper
Describes the concept of open access and its increasing importance in scientific publishing.
- Open Access Publishing and Citation Archives: Background and Controversy
Congressional Research Service report by Genevieve Knezo which outlines the major issues surrounding open access publishing.
- Open Access Overview
Written by the well-known proponent of OA, Peter Suber, this site provides a clear and concise introduction to the open access movement and the issues surrounding new and old publication models.
- Timeline of the Open Access Movement
1966 – Present
Contains over 500,000 e-prints in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, statistics, and non-linear science. Maintained by Cornell University.
An open access publisher of over 200 peer-reviewed biomedical journals.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Provides access to free, full-text, peer-reviewed articles from over 4,000 journals.
- E-Print Network (U.S. Department of Energy)
Provides access to numerous repositories in life sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, mathematics, physics, and other disciplines relevant to the Department of Energy.
A union catalog of academic digital resources. Includes over 23 million text, image, audio, and video records.
- Open Access Directory
Wiki that includes directories of open access sources and discussion.
- OpenDOAR: Directory of Open Access Repositories
Provides a listing of academic open access repositories.
- PubMed Central
National Institutes of Health’s publicly accessible repository of biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
- Registry of Open Access Repositories (ROAR)
Listing of hundreds of repositories, both domestic and international.
- ROARMAP (Registry of Open Access Repository Material Archiving Policies)
Tracks the growth of institutional self-archiving policies.
Index of over 350 million open access journal articles, e-prints, technical reports and other material from science-related webpages, databases, courseware sites, and repositories.
Directory of Research Funders’ Open Access Policies
- Creative Commons
A non-profit organization that provides free licenses and other legal tools to aid authors of a variety of content types in retaining rights and distributing their work.
- Open Archives Initiative
Develops and promotes interoperability standards for the dissemination of content.
- Public Library of Science (PLoS)
Large open access publisher.
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
Developed by the Association of Research Libraries, SPARC is an international alliance of almost 800 academic and research libraries, which works to foster the open access movement.
- Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities
- Bethesda Statement on Open Access
- Budapest Open Access Initiative
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Policy
- European Research Council Guidelines
- Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Open Access Policy
- National Institutes of Health Public Access Policy
- Salvador Declaration on Open Access: The Developing World Perspective
- Washington DC Principles for Free Access to Science
- Wellcome Trust Position Statement in Support of Open and Unrestricted Access to Published Research