A Finding Guide to the British Reference Materials
at the University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
Center for British and Irish Studies
Reference Finding Guide
University of Colorado at Boulder
This Finding Guide includes a partial listing of two types of aids to research:
It does not attempt, however, to provide listings of standard reference works in British Studies. For the latter, consult the Chinook
computer-based catalog at the University of Colorado Libraries. The online catalog should also be used for updates to the sets
included in this Finding Guide. Please also see the Electronic Resources section for further information on online databases.
- 1. Works that provide access to primary sources.
- 2. Selected reference works pertaining to collections listed in these Finding Guides.
Prepared by Dr. Nancy W. Nolte
Ref - 1
Updated, Summer 2005
The Eighteenth Century Short-Title Catalogue (The British Library microfiche edition of 1990).
- Continues: Annual Register of World Events.
- 19 microfilm reels, 35 mm., Princeton Microfilm Corp.
- Norlin Central Reference: check holdings in D2.A7.
- Norlin Media Library: 1864-1953; 1965-1974, Microfilm 3977.
- Norlin Spec Col: print edition 1863-1901; 1964-75, 1977- , D2.A7.
A Guide to the Historical and Archaeological Publications of Societies in England and Wales, 1901-1933.
- Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, 2nd edition.
- Items in English, Latin, Greek, French, German, Danish, etc.
- 220 microfiche in 2 ring binders; plus one pamphlet.
- ESTC Project, British Library, London, 1990.
- Describes material printed in Britain and her colonies in any language, as well as material printed anywhere in the world in the
English language between 1701 and 1800. See also The Eighteenth Century Short-Title Catalogue, 1st edition, Central Reference
Department: Microfiche 704.
- Finding Guide: See pamphlet.
- Norlin Central Reference: Microfiche 704.2 v. 1-2.
The London Stage, 1660-1800; A Calendar of Plays, Entertainments & Afterpieces, Together with Casts, Box-receipts
and Contemporary Comment.
- Compiled for the Institute of Historical Research by E. L. C. Mullins.
- London, Athlone P., 1968.
- Note: This may be referred to as Mullins III.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z5055.G6 M8.
Ref - 2
- Compiled from the playbills, newspapers and theatrical diaries of the period.
- Carbondale, Southern Illinois University Press, 1960-68, [v. 1, 1965] 5 v. in 11.
- Note: Includes bibliographies.
- pt. 1. 1660-1700, edited by W. Van Lennep, with a critical introd. by E. L. Avery and A. H. Scouten.--pt. 2. 1700-1729, edited with a
critical introd. by E. L. Avery. 2 v.--pt. 3. 1729-1747, edited with a critical introd. by A. H. Scouten. 2 v.--pt. 4. 1747-1776,
edited with a critical introd. by G. W. Stone. 3 v.--pt. 5. 1776-1800, edited with a critical introd. by C. B. Hogan, 3. v.
- Norlin Stacks: PN2592.L6.
The London Stage, 1890-1959: Calendars of Plays and Players.
- Compiled by J. P. Wearing.
- Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1976.
- Part 1: v. 1. 1890-1896.--v. 2. 1897-1899, index.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W37.
- Part 2: v. 1. 1900-1907.--v. 2. 1908-1909, index.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W38.
- Part 3: v. 1. 1910-1916 -- v. 2. 1917-1919, index.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W383 1982.
- Part 4: v. 1. 1920-1924 -- v. 2. 1925-1929 -- v. 3. Indexes.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W384 1984.
- Part 5: v. 1. 1930-1934 -- v. 2. 1935-1939 -- v. 3. Indexes.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W3845 1990.
- Part 6: v. 1. 1940-1949 -- v. 2. Indexes.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W3846 1991.
- Part 7: v. 1. 1950-1957 -- v. 2. 1958-1959 and indexes.
- Norlin Central Reference: PN2596.L6 W3847 1993.
National Index of Parish Registers.
National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United Kingdom (NIDS).
- Edited by D. J. Steel and Mrs. A. E. F. Steel.
- London, publ. for the Society of Genealogists by Phillimore, 1966.
- 12 vols.
- CU has: Vols. 1, 5.
- Norlin Stacks: CD1068.A2 N2.
Ref - 3
- Photocopies of the unpublished catalogues, finding guides, and indexes available at British archive offices, many of them highly
detailed, plus a common general index.
- Partial list of contents: 1. Royal College of Physicians. 2. St. George's Hospital Medical School. 3. Imperial War Museum. 4. Tom
Harrisson Mass Observation Archive. 5. University of London Institute of Education. 6. Gloucestershire Record Office. 7. Bristol
Record Office. 8. Clwyd Record Office. 9. Port of London Authority. 10. Lambeth Palace. 11. Bodleian Library. 12. Sussex University
Library. 13. Labour Party. 14. Shropshire County Council. 15. National Library of Wales. 16. Cambridge South Asian Archive Office.
17. Family Planning Association. 18. Kent County Archives Office. 19. Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic. 20. Wellcome Institute.
21. Berkshire Record Office. 22. Welsh Folk Museum. 23. Rhodes House Library. 24. Institution of Civil Engineers. 25. West Sussex
Record Office. 26. Guildhall Library. 27. Essex Record Office. 28. House of Lords Record Office. 29. Hull Record Office. 30. Institution
of Electrical Engineers. 31. Thameside Local Studies Library. 32. Nuffield College Library. 33. Modern Records Centre, University of
Warwick. 34. Rothamsted Experimental Station. 35. East Sussex Record Office. 36. British Film Institute 37. Bolton Metropolitan
Borough. 38. University of Strathclyde. 39. South Yorkshire County Record Office. 40. Cambridgeshire Record Office. 41. Brynmor
Jones Library. 42. Sussex Archaeological Society. 43. London Borough of Greenwich. 44. National Library of Scotland. 45. Leicestershire
Record Office. 46. Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, Records Office. 47. Duchy of Cornwall. 49. Fashion Research Centre, Bath Museums
Service. 50. Westminster City Libraries. 51. Keele University Library. 52. Nottingham University Library. 53. Wolverhampton Borough
Archives. 54. Hackney Archives Department. 55. John Rylands University Library of Manchester. 56. St. Patrick's College, Maynooth. 57.
Bedfordshire Record Office. 58. Durham County Record Office. 59. Institution of Mining and Metallurgy. 60. Lancashire Record
Office. 61. Cleveland County Archives. 62. Society of Genealogists. 63. Dyfed Archive Service. 64. Lloyds Bank plc Archives.
- c. 6650 microfiches and 1 guide.
- Chadwyck-Healey, 1984.
- Guide: How to use the National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United Kingdom in Your Research. Reference and Government Information.
- Index: Index, National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the UK & Ireland.
- Research and Instruction Department: Microfiche 940.
- Index: Microfiche 941.
- CD ROM Indices. 1993-1995: CD 3022.A244.
- This series is being received in parts. Check with Norlin Research desk for most recent acquisitions.
The Newspaper Press Directory, London, 1846-1907.
Ref - 4
- ("Mitchell's Newspaper Press Directory, London,1846-1907.")
- Originally published by the Charles Mitchell Co.
- Reel 1: 1846, 1847, 1851, 1854, 1856.
- Reel 2: 1857, 1858, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862-1863.
- Reel 3: 1864, 1865, 1866, 1867, 1868, 1869-1870.
- Reel 4: 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876.
- Reel 5: 1877, 1878, 1879, 1880.
- Reel 6: 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1886.
- Reel 7: 1887-1888, 1889-1890.
- Reel 8: 1891-1892, 1893.
- Reel 9: 1894-1895, 1896.
- Reel 10: 1897-1898, 1899.
- Reel 11: 1900-1901, 1902.
- Reel 12: 1903-1904, 1905.
- Reel 13: 1906, 1907.
- 13 microfilm reels, 35 mm., National Cash Register Co., 1968.
- The directory is essentially a bibliography for the stated years covering newspapers from: London, the English countryside, the British
Isles, Scotland, and Ireland. The collection also includes railway papers. Later editions include continental, American, Indian, and
colonial newspapers. Also called Benn's Guide to Newpapers Periodicals in the World.
- Norlin Media Library: Microfilm 1645.
Newspapers and Publishers in Great Britain and Ireland, 1801-1900 (from British Museum Catalogue)
- ("British Museum. Catalogue of Printed Books. Supplement. Newspapers and Publishers in Great Britain and Ireland, 1801-1900.")
- Includes newspapers from: 1. London and the suburbs. 2. English and Welsh provinces. 3. Scotland. 4. Ireland.
- 1 microfilm reel, 35 mm., University of Pennsylvania Libraries, c. 1972.
- A few listings also cover the 18th century.
- Norlin Media Library: Microfilm 2880.
Nineteenth Century Short-Title Catalogue, Series I, Phase I, 1801-1815.
- See: National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United Kingdom, above.
Nineteenth Century Short-Title Catalogue, Series II, Phase I, 1816-1870.
- (Bodleian Library, Oxford, British Library, London, Trinity College, Dublin, National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, and
University Libraries of Cambridge and Newcastle.)
- Vol. 1: A-C.
- Vol. 2: D-H.
- Vol. 3: I-Q.
- Vol. 4: R-Z.
- Vol. 5: Special Sections Index and 1st Supplement.
- Vol. 6: Title Index.
- Items in English, Latin, French, Danish, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, etc.
- 6 volumes, printed.
- Avero Publications Ltd., c. 1984-1986.
- Index: Volume six is a title index. Subject and imprint index is provided in each volume.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z 2001 N55 1984 v. 1-6.
Ref - 5
- (Bodleian Library, Oxford, British Library, London, Harvard University Library, Library of Congress, Trinity College, Dublin,
National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, and the University Libraries of Cambridge and Newcastle.)
- Items in English, Latin, Italian, Danish, French, German, Dutch, etc.
- 54 volumes to date, printed.
- Avero Publications, Ltd., c. 1986 to date.
- Index: Subject and imprint index is included in every fifth volume of text. A title index is planned for the end of the series.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z 2001 N552 1986 v. 1-28.
Public Record Office Information Sheets.
Scottish Texts and Calendars: An Analytical Guide to Serial Publications.
- These cover many topics of interest to researchers in Great Britain's Public Record Office. They are available from the Managing
Director of the Center for British Studies.
Texts and Calendars: An Analytical Guide to Serial Publications.
- By David and Wendy B. Stevenson.
- London: Royal Historical Society; Edinburgh: Scottish History Society, 1987.
- Series: Guides and handbooks; no. 14.
- Scottish History Society; 4th ser., v. 23.
- Note: "This book is primarily intended to form a companion volume to works produced by E.L.C. Mullins for the Royal Historical
Society's `Guides and Handbooks' series: Texts and calendars. An analytical guide to serial publications (1958),
and Texts and calendars II. An analytical guide to serial publications 1957-1982 (1983)." -- Pref.
- Index: Included in volume.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z2054.S84 1987.
Texts and Calendars II: An Analytical Guide to Serial Publications, 1957-1982.
- By E. L. C. Mullins.
- London, Royal Historical Society, 1958.
- Series: Royal Historical Society (Great Britain), Guides and handbooks, no. 7.
- Note: "An analytical guide to printed texts and calendars relating to English and Welsh history issued in general
collections or in series by a public body or private society before the end of March 1957. The volumes ... [described] are, with few
exceptions, part of the Library of the Royal Historical Society."
- This is referred to in the Record Society Finding Guide as "Mullins I."
- Norlin Stacks: Z2016.M8.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z2016.M8.
- Norlin Media Library: Z2016.M8.
Ref - 6
- By E. L. C. Mullins.
- London: Offices of the Royal Historical Society, University College London, 1983.
- Series: Royal Historical Society guides and handbooks; no. 12.
- Note: "The present work continues Texts and Calendars for twenty-five years."
- This is referred to in the Record Society Finding Guide as "Mullins II."
- Norlin Central Reference: Z2016.M8.
Victoria County Histories.
The Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900; tables of contents and identification of contributors, with
bibliographies of their articles and stories.
- Vols./Years: 1899-.
- CU has: almost all of the 200+ vols. published by 2004.
- For details on contents of many individual volumes see "Victoria History of the Counties of England. General Introduction.
Supplement 1970-90" or the website englandpast.ner and click on "About VCH Publications," which is updated to 2004.
- Norlin Stacks: DA670, various nos.
Ref - 7
- Walter E. Houghton, editor; Josef L. Altholz [and others], associate editors.
- [Toronto]: University of Toronto Press, 1966-.
- 5 vols.
- Norlin Central Reference: Z2005.H6.
Guides Title Page]
to the Finding Guides] [The
Center for British Studies Home Page] [Government Information Home Page]