Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)
(Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom - also claimed by Argentina)
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
Falkland Island Government Information
- Falkland Islands Government Office - Representation in the UK
- Falkland Islands International Relations
- Overseas Territories - Queen Elizabeth: Constitutional Monarch
Overseas Territories Information
- BBC News Territory Profile - Falkland Islands
A guide to history, politics and economic background of countries from BBC News.
- CIA World Factbook - Falkland Islands
Country profile provides information on country background, geography, people, government, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues.
- ITC - Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Country-specific trade and market profiles, map, and trade statistics from the International Trade Centre (ITC).
- United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office - Falkland Islands
Country profile covering history, politics, economy, human rights, relations with the UK, and travel.
- United Nations Statistics Division: Environment Snapshot - Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Country snapshots offer national environment statistics.
- U.S. Census Bureau Foreign Trade Statistics - Falkland Islands
U.S. trade in goods (imports, exports and balance) with Falkland Islands.
- U.S. Department of Energy - Falkland Islands
Country energy profile for production, consumption, U.S. oil imports, and CO2 emissions.
- British History Online is a digital library containing some of the core printed primary and secondary sources for the medieval and modern history of the British Isles.
- British and Irish Legal Information provides access to cases and legislation from the United Kingdom and links to law journals and other law-related information.
- CD-ROMs available on computers in the Government Publications library:
- British Parliamentary Papers 1990- Readex index to Official Documents and Command Papers of the British Parliament. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- Calendar of State Papers, Colonial: North America and the West Indies, 1574-1739 This CD-ROM includes documents from 1574-1739 in over 40,000 transcripts and extended abstracts. This material covers a wide range of subject areas, including: correspondence to and from colonial governors; orders and grants from central government to local administration; information from the localities; information about the slave trade and piracy, and much more.
- Indexes of British Parliamentary Papers, 1801-1945 Bruise Shoin index to Official Documents and Command Papers of the British Parliament. House of Commons: 1801-1944/45. House of Lords: 1801-1922. Includes biographical information on members of Parliament. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- Indexes of House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, 1801-2000 This Chadwick-Healey database contains the first cumulative index of all House of Commons parliamentary papers published from 1801 to the current decade. It draws together material from Chadwick-Healey's Subject Catalogue of the House of Commons parliamentary papers 1801-1900, the House of Commons decennial indexes covering the period 1900-1979, and data from the Parliamentary Online Information Service (POLIS) Database from 2001 onwards. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- UKOP: United Kingdom Official Publications A single source of information on the publications of official documents published by HMSO or directly by official organizations in the UK, from 1980 onwards. Also included are publications of international organizations distributed by HMSO
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Declassified Documents
Declassified information available from the FOIA Electronic Reading Room. Enter "Falkland" as the search term.
- National Intelligence Council (NIC) Declassified Documents
Database of intelligence reports, National Intelligence Estimates, and other publications produced by the National Intelligence Council or its predecessor organizations, the Office of National Estimates and the Office of Reports and Estimates since 1946.
- National Intelligence Council (NIC) Declassified Documents
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports CU
The Congressional Research Service (CRS), the research arm of Congress, prepares reports (usually under 20 pages long) on topics of interest to members of Congress. Enter "Falkland" as the search term.
- Declassified Documents Reference System CU
Search this database to find declassified documents related to the Falkland Islands.
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
Department of Defense Scientific and Technical Reports Collection provides access to citations to unclassified unlimited documents that have been entered into DTIC's Technical Reports (TR) Database, as well as the electronic full-text of many of these documents.
- Digital National Security Archive CU
Database of primary declassified documents regarding critical U.S. policy decisions. Enter "Falkland" as the search term.
- Empire Online CU This database contains 70,000 original documents relating to Empire Studies. These documents cover the from 1492-1962 and are accompanied by essays and biographies from leading scholars.
- Global Legal Information Network (GLIN)
"Public database of official texts of laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and other complementary legal sources contributed by governmental agencies and international organizations."
- Human Rights Watch - Americas
News and reports related to human rights.
- International Area Studies Europe CU
Collection of databases from the University of Colorado covering Europe.
- International Area Studies General CU
Collection of general databases from the University of Colorado covering international issues.
- International Area Studies Latin America CU
Collection of databases from the University of Colorado covering Latin America.
- International Area Studies Statistics CU
Collection of international statistics databases from the University of Colorado.
- Spartacus Encyclopedia of British History 1700-1950 a free resource for all students of British history. The encyclopedia currently contains over 2,000 entries and is an attempt to show the history of Britain through the eyes of people from all levels of society.
- Time Digital Archive, 1785-1985 CU Searchable access to the complete backfile of The Times (London), available in full page images.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
Diplomacy, Programs and Aid
- ReliefWeb - Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
ReliefWeb, administered by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), provides news, documents, maps, and background information on emergency assistance by country.
News, operations, statistics, background, analysis and policy, and maps from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Select Falkland Islands from the "Browse by country" drop-down menu on the right.
- United Kingdom Overseas Territories Association (UKOTA) - Falkland Islands
"UKOTA exists to promote the interests of the United Kingdom Overseas Territories and co-operation between them. Specifically UKOTA demonstrates the collective and individual partnerships between the territories and Her Majesty's Government."
- Defense is the responsibility of the United Kingdom
- BBC News: The Battle over the Falklands
Site from BBC News about the dispute between Britain and Argentina over the ownership of the Falkland Islands.
- The Falkland Islands Campaign 1982
A history of the 1982 conflict from the UK Royal Air Force.
- Falkland Islands International Relations with Argentina
Site from the Falklands Islands Government about relations with Argentina after the 1982 invasion.
- Falklands 25
25th anniversary site on the end of the Falklands Conflict from the UK Ministry of Defence.
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on the Falkland Islands available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook, the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources falkland islands and econom* falkland islands and econom* falkland islands and histor* falkland islands and histor* falkland islands and politic* falkland islands and politic* falkland islands (government publications only) falkland islands (government publications only)
The * replaces up to five characters in a word.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog