Drop-In: Discovering the Developed WorldBasic overview
In the catalog
*There are indexes to the earlier publications at the Government Information office.
Selected Electronic Resources:
- Foreign Information by Country
This page provides access to country information by individual country and then provides links to a variety of compilations of country information such as profiles by governments or international organizations and portals listing links to a variety of web sites.
- Subject Guides from Gov. Pubs.
Find here a collection of over 100 guides on everything from agriculture to trade issues.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
IMF is an international organization of 184 member countries. The main work of the IMF is three kinds of activities. The Fund monitors economic and financial
developments, and provides policy advice to countries, aimed especially at crisis-prevention. The IMF also lends to countries with balance of payments difficulties, to provide temporary financing and to support policies aimed at correcting the underlying problems; loans to low-income countries are aimed specifically at poverty reduction. Third, the IMF provides countries with technical assistance and training.
- International Finance Statistics (IFS) CU
This database contains statistics such as: commodity prices, country tables, and world tables.
- United Nations
- AccessUN CU This database indexes all United Nations publications from 1946 to present. The library should have all these publications, come to the Government Information office for help finding them.
- UNData This database provides selected series from 30 specialized international data sources for all available countries and areas.
- UN Comtrade CU This database contains more than 700 million records covering over 40 years of detailed trade information.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP is the UN's global development network, with offices in 166 countries. UNDP programmes focus on democratic governance, poverty reduction, crisis prevention and recovery, energy and environment, and HIV/AIDS.
- Human Development Report The annual Human Development Report (HDR), first launched in 1990, focuses on key development issues, providing measurement tools, innovative analysis and policy proposals. Regional, national and local Human Development Reports are also issued.
- HDR statistics
- Millenium Development Goals At the Millennium Summit in September
2000 world leaders adopted the UN Millennium Declaration, committing their nations to a new global partnership to reduce extreme poverty and setting out a series of time-bound targets, with a deadline of 2015, that have become known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). UNDP coordinates the global and national efforts to reach these Goals.
• MDG Indicators (UN)
• MDG data (World Bank)
Country development programmes. Click on Regions tab to find Country development documents.
- World Bank
The basic mission of the World Bank is the reduction of global poverty and the
improvement of living standards through low-interest loans, interest-free credit and grants for purposes such as education, health, infrastructure, and communications. It consists of two development institutions owned by 185
countries – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). The focus of the IBDR is on middle income and creditworthy poor countries, while the IDA focuses on the poorest countries. Find information on projects, statements of accounts, research and country reports.
- Global Development Finance CU This database contains statistical data for the 147 countries and country groups. The database covers external debt stocks and flows, major economic aggregates, and key debt ratios as well as average terms of new commitments, currency composition of long-term debt, debt restructuring, and scheduled debt service projections. The focus here is on country investment data as well as the credit valuation of a country, necessary to assess investment prospects.
- World Development Indicators CU This is the premier data source on the global economy. It contains statistical data for over 575 development indicators and time series data from 1960--2002 for over 220 countries and country groups. Data includes social, economic, financial, natural resources, and environmental indicators.
- World Bank e-Library CU This is an electronic portal to the World Bank's full-text collection of books, reports, and other documents. New titles and working papers are added to the database as they become available.
- UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) UNCTAD compiles comprehensive data and other information on flows and stock of foreign direct investment (FDI), operations of transnational corporations (TNCs), investment treaties, and methodologies of FDI of all countries worldwide since 1990.
- Statistical databases
- International Financial Statistics (general FDI data see IFS link above)
- Organization for Economic Development and Development The OECD is an international organization made up
of the majority of developed countries in the world.
SourceOECD (campus access) This database contains statistical databases and e-books of all the publications from the OECD.
International Direct Investment database (FDI bilateral flows)
Development Assistance (country to country)
International Development database (Aid flows) and Development Co-operation Directorate (DAC) online
Projects and US Overseas Loans and Grants (Green Book)
- UN humanitarian aid/peacekeeping Global Issues on the UN agenda
Additional databases to check out (campus access):
- Business Source Premier While the focus of this database is on business articles, you can find numerous reports from the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) on particular countries. These reports help when comparing the various information collected by the international organizations and governments.
- Congressional Research Service Reports Collection of reports written on specific countries for the U.S. Congress. Enter the country name as search term.
- Euromonitor Global Market Information Database Extensive statistical marketing, business and economic information for over 200 countries.
- Factiva Factiva covers nearly 9,000 sources from 152 countries in 22 languages, including more than 120 continuously updated newswires.
- LexisNexis Statistical Database with detailed descriptions of 100,000+ U. S. federal and state government and private statistical publications, with full-text access to tables. Full-text of publications available in the Government Information Library.
- Still want more? Check out Find Articles and More These pages are arranged by topic or alphabetically by database. For example if you were looking for articles the politics of climate change you could choose the Political Science database guide and search one of the databases listed there. This list of resources is compiled by a librarian in the field of study, so these are the primary databases for the topic.
We are always happy to answer questions or set up appointments to have a more in-depth discussion of your research.