ETHN 3106: Selected Topics in Chicana and Chicano Studies: The Medical Industrial Complex
Susana Almanza, current director of PODER-Texas, discusses her involvement in creating a healthy, safe environment in East Austin, Texas:
Created by the Environmental Protection Agency
- EJ Viewer Use this EPA tool to create maps using layering options to select specific demographic, community, health and environmental data. Also use this tool to generate reports.
Community Environmental Health Information
- Environmental Protection Agency – My Environment Search for environmental information by location. Use the EnviroMapper (MyMaps) to create maps that pinpoint the location of releases to the air, water and land, as well as information about the community, health and energy. To get started, click the link More Maps.
- EPA Facility searches Search a variety of EPA databases by zip code
- TOXMAP Environmental Health e-maps from the National Library of Medicine
Health Disparities in Colorado
Profiles and Indicators - Colorado Data Sources
- Health data
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Reports State level data only
- CDC Wonder
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) Has some local /county data
- Health Indicators Warehouse
- Health Insurance data
- Small Area Health Insurance Estimates
Data by county for uninsured and insured populations
- Demographic data
- American Factfinder
Sources for research articles
- Academic Search Premier CU
- Chicano Database CU
- Ethnic NewsWatch CU
- GreenFILE CU
- GREENR CU
- JSTOR CU
- Web of Science CU
Hint: Try searching “health disparities” OR “health inequities” with Chican* OR latino OR Hispanic. If that is not successful, use broader terms like race OR ethnic* instead of the more specific terms.
Tip! Use the VPN (Virtual Private Network) to connect to the library remotely. Get access to sources for articles, ebooks, and more from home, the coffee shop, or around the world by logging in and using the links on this page as normal.
Search for books
- Chinook - Libraries online catalog Doing a keyword search for:
health disparities Colorado turns up a number of sources, including links to online reports issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Broaden your search by eliminating the word Colorado and putting in terms like race or ethnicity or children.
More Library Resources
- Click here to browse more sources for articles, organized by academic subject
- Click here to search the libraries' collection of research guides -- Web pages that suggest sources to use for many different subjects
- County Health Roadmaps and Rankings A project of the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.
- Hispanic Health Disparities Research Center Ongoing collaborative project at the University of Texas, El Paso.
- RefWorks CU
Need More Help?
We are happy to answer questions or set up appointments to have a more in-depth discussion of your research. Please feel free to contact me using the information below, or contact the library using the chat box..
Jorge Ricardo López-McKnight