- Air Travel Consumer Report Flight delays, lost baggage and other information.
- American Medical Association Physician Select Check your doctor's
- The College Opportunities On Line (COOL) database allows you to search for
college information by location, program, or degree offerings either alone or in combination. Results include data on
enrollment, costs, degrees awarded, and financial aid.
- Colorado State Cooperative Extension Service provides publications on issues relating to agriculture, consumer and environment.
- The Congressional Research Service (CRS), the research arm of Congress, prepares reports
(usually under 20 pages long) on topics of interest to members of Congress. Search these CRS Reports CU
through LexisNexis. Enter "consumers" or "consumer protection" as search terms.
- Consumer Information on Food Safety, Nutrition and Cosmetics from FDA
- Consumer Expenditure Survey "The Consumer Expenditure Survey collects
information from the Nation's households and families on their buying habits (expenditures), income, and characteristics. The strength of the survey is that it allows data users to relate the expenditures and income of consumers to the characteristics of those consumers." Provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Selective Access menu provides information by consumer characteristics and type of product.
- Consumer Information Center Catalog has many publications online in full text and an online ordering form. The center publishes a Consumer's Action Handbook that contains advice on many topics and a directory with names, addresses, telephone numbers, web site and e-mail addresses for national consumer organizations, better business bureaus, corporations, trade associations, state and local consumer protection offices, state agencies, military consumer offices, and Federal agencies.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission with full text Press Releases, Product Recalls,
Publications, and Other Information.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Citizen Information
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis has an online calculator based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) that tells you What's
a Dollar Worth?
- Federal Trade Commission enforces a variety of federal antitrust and consumer protection laws. The agency has an extensive array of consumer protection information, including an in depth page on Identity Theft.
- Food and Drug Administration with information on
- Fuel Economy--EPA and Dept. of Energy. Contains data on fuel
economy and greenhouse emissions for vehicles. This site also contains the ability to compare vehicles.
- HealthFinder A web site from the United States government to help consumers locate reliable medical information including: online publications,
databases, web sites, support and self-help groups, not-for
-profit organizations, and government agencies. Includes links to
- Hotel-Motel National Master List FEMA provides a database that allows you to search for hotels and motels that meet the fire and life safety requirements of the Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990 (PL101-391).
- International Bibliographic Information on Dietary Supplements (IBIDS)"database is produced by the Office of Dietary Supplements of the National Institutes of Health, in conjunction with the Food and Nutrition Information Center of the National Agricultural Library, U. S. Department of Agriculture. IBIDS contains bibliographic records, including abstracts published in international scientific journals on the topic of dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, herbal and botanical supplements. The general public, scientists, researchers, and other interested parties will be able to search the database using keywords to obtain the citations of research journal articles."
- Medicare includes
publications and online databases. The Medicare Compare database
allows you to compare features of health care plans. The Nursing
Home compare contains information from the most recent nursing
- Parental information from Department of Education
- Credit Card Information As a consumer, it pays to be smart when choosing and using a credit card. This site--maintained by the Federal Reserve Board, whose goal is to protect the credit rights of consumers--provides a basic guide to navigating the credit card process.
- Social Security features a
retirement planner, the Social Security Handbook, an online
form to request a Social Security statement, and other
information including a page on the popularity of names. This site lists the most popular male and female names
on Social Security applications from 1880 to the present.
- USDA Nutritive Value of Foods: searchable database.
- Veterans Benefits Manual
- United States
Vital Records Information "This page contains information
about where to obtain vital records from each state, territory and
county of the United States".