Elections and VotingU.S. Information | International Information | Nongovernmental Sources | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
U.S. Government Information
- Census Bureau Voting and Registration Tables
This site contains detailed data on voting and registration by demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Colorado Ballot Proposal Booklet (Blue Book) English, Spanish, and Audio
This provides access to the Blue Book Analysis of the statewide ballot initiatives in Colorado. It also provides information on getting an initiative on the ballot along with a listing of initiated and referred constitutional and statutory amendments since 1964.
- Colorado Secretary of State Elections Center provides certified election results, a directory of registered lobbyists, and campaign finance database.
- Prior Election Information provides information on the number of registered voters, voter turnout and provisional ballots.
- Election Assistance Committee (EAC)
EAC is an independent, bipartisan commission charged with developing guidance to meet Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) requirements, adopting voluntary voting system guidelines, and serving as a national clearinghouse of information on election administration. EAC also accredits testing laboratories and certifies voting systems, as well as audits the use of HAVA funds. In addition, they also collect and provide links and statistics for research into election administration.
- Election Statistics
"Since 1920, the Clerk of the House has collected and published the official vote counts for federal elections from the official sources among the various states and territories. These documents, out of print for many years, have been collected and scanned in a format to make them once again available to researchers and students."
- Electoral College
This page from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) provides electoral college results from 1789, number of electoral college members by state and other information. In addition, the site provides citations to the relevant portions of the Constitution and federal law, a procedural guide for the Electoral College, and a list of frequently asked questions. As the states submit Certificates of Ascertainment and Certificates of Vote, NARA plans to post image copies of the documents. It is also providing links to official and unofficial counts from the individual states.
- Federal Election Commission (FEC) "In 1975, Congress created the Federal Election Commission (FEC) to administer and enforce the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) - the statute that governs the financing of federal elections." The FEC web site includes:
- Campaign Finance Reports and Data
- Campaign Finance Law and Regulations
- National Mail Voter Registration Form
- Election 2000
"The Election 2000 Collection developed for the U.S. Library of Congress by the Internet Archive, and Compaq Computer, is now being made available as an Internet library containing archived copies of more than 1000 election-related Web sites (http://archive.alexa.com). The collection, searchable by date, by web site, and by category via Alexas new Wayback Machine technology, contains more than two million megabytes, or about 87 million pages, of election-related information gathered between August 1, 2000 and January 14, 2001, including what was published on the candidates web sites, political party sites, and major news sites."
- Election 2002 Web Archive
A collective product of the Library of Congress and other organizations, the Election 2002 Web Archive is a selective collection of nearly 4,000 sites archived between July 1, 2002 and November 30, 2002.
- Elections 2004
The collection includes Web sites for candidates who appeared on the final state ballots as well as Web sites for political party sites at the national level (all registered parties) and Democratic and Republican party sites at the state level; educational and research institutions; advocacy groups; government sites including federal, state and territorial, and election boards; creative expressions and miscellaneous Web sites related to the 2004 elections. This collection also included blogs (or Weblogs) centered on those certified as "Convention Bloggers" by the Democratic and Republican parties prior to the respective national conventions. Collection Period: October 15, 2003 - December 16, 2004.
- Elections 2006
The United States Election 2006 Web Archive is a selective collection of approximately 2119 sites archived between May 31, 2006 and November 30, 2006. The last Web crawl, originally scheduled for November 30, was rescheduled to the second week of December to encompass runoff elections taking place in Louisiana and Texas. This is a collection of Web sites produced by congressional and gubernatorial candidates, political party, government, advocacy, blog, public opinion, and miscellaneous Web sites related to the 2006 elections. 2006 saw a power shift take place in the United States Congress. For the first time in 12 years, Democrats took control of both houses of Congress. As a result of the Democratic control of the House, the first ever female Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi was elected to that position.
- Secretaries of State and/or Directors of Elections
This Department of Defense page links to the department that handles elections for all fifty states.
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
Better known as the Helsinki Commission. This Commission is an independent agency of the United States Government. Site includes narrative reports on key elections in European countries.
- Inter-Parliamentary Union includes links to known parliamentary web sites by country, documents, lists of members, and ParLine: a database about national legislatures which includes:
- General information on each of the Parliament's chambers
- Description of the electoral system
- Results of the most recent elections
- Information on the presidency of each chamber.
- Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe, Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights-Elections
This Elections page has a calendar of elections, as well as reports on monitoring projects undertaken by this group. It also has an election calendar, and results from monitored elections.
- United Nations Electoral Assistance Division
U.S. Information | International Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
- ACLU Congressional Scorecard
Voting records of the Congress on issues of interest to the ACLU.
- ACE Electoral Knowledge Network provides comprehensive information on elections throughout the world.
- American Presidency Project
- Presidential Candidates Debates: 1960 - provides text transcripts of the presidential debates from 1960 forward.
- Presidential Elections Data provides data on electoral and and popular votes of each presidential election from 1828 forward. Also includes a map showing how each state voted in every election.
- Center for Responsive Politics (OpenSecrets.org)
This web site includes a race-by-race analysis of campaign contributions for the upcoming elections, congressional candidate profiles, and detailed analysis of major PAC contributions. The Personal Finance section includes copies of personal finance reports filed by the members of the House and Senate, the President, and selected presidential candidates.
- CQ MoneyLine
Search campaign finance donors and recipients by name, zip code, city, state, employer/occupation, and year.
- CQ Voting and Elections Collection CU
This database integrates a wealth of data, authoritative analyses, concise explanations, and historical material to help researchers investigate and understand voting and elections in America.
- EISA is a non-governmental organization that promotes credible elections and democratic governance in Africa.
- Elections Results Archive
Includes election results by country from Binghamton University's Center on Democratic Performance.
- Initiative and Referendum Institute
This institute, at the University of Southern California, traces initiatives and referendums in all fifty states.
- International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES)
- ElectionGuide is an election calendar of upcoming elections around the world
- International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
Provides information on election laws, systems and administration in various countries. Has tabulations of this data such as voter turnout statistics.
- Latin American Election Statistics
This resource put together by the Latin Studies Librarian at University of California, San Diego provides "chronologies of elections since independence at the municipal, state, and federal levels and list sources of statistics for each election as identified."
- League of Conservation Voters Scorecards
This site rates House and Senate members on votes related to the environment.
- Money in State Politics
Follow the Money database "tracks contributions in all 50 states and makes this data easily searchable online."
- Project Vote Smart
This site provides information on candidates and elected officials in five basic categories: biographical information, issue positions, voting records, campaign finances and interest group ratings.
This site contains lists of heads of state and heads of government from the 1960's to the present. (Historic information is available for selected countries.) Also includes a monthly "chronicle" of events: cabinet changes, elections, and other information. Includes selected international organizations
- U.S. Congress Votes Database
This database (provided by the Washington Post) provides information of how each member of Congress has voted on bills since 1991. You can search by bill or Congress member. This site may require free registration.
- Voting America United States Politics, 1840-2008
This page has maps and data on federal elections from 1840-2008.
Resources in the Catalog
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on welfare and welfare reform available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook , the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources election* and vot* election* and vot* voting rights voting rights campaign funds campaign funds election* and vot*
(government publications only)
election* and vot*
(government publications only)
The * can replace up to five characters.