Parks, Forests, Grasslands, Wildlife Refuges, and Historic PlacesU.S. Information | International Information | Nongovernmental Sources | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
U.S. Government Information
- Forest Service
Use the drop-down box to find a national forest or grassland by state or name.
Treesearch is an online system for locating and delivering public domain publications by Research and Development scientists in the US Forest Service. Publications in the collection include research monographs published by the agency as well as papers written by our scientists but published by other organizations in their journals, conference proceedings, or books. Research results behind these publications have been peer reviewed to ensure the best quality science.
- Forests and Rangelands
Forests and Rangelands is a cooperative effort between the United States Department of the Interior (DOI), the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and their land management agencies. Forests and Rangelands provides fire, fuels, and land management information to government officials, land and fire management professionals, businesses, communities, and other interested organizations and individuals.
- National Archaeological Database
An "expanded bibliographic inventory of approximately 240,000 reports on archeological investigation and planning, mostly of limited circulation. This 'gray literature' represents a large portion of the primary information available on archeological sites in the U.S. NADB-Reports can be searched by state, county, worktype, cultural affiliation, keyword, material, year of publication, title, and author."
- National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC)
NIFC is the U.S. government center for fighting wildfires. The web site features national fire policies and includes links to information about training and fire prevention.
- National Park Service
- National Parks A-Z list
- National Park Service Reference Desk provides access to personnel directories, policy manuals, and "hot documents" requested under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- NPS Focus Digital Library searches across multiple National Park Service databases. This database provides full-text access to reports.
- National Park Service Voyager Database is a combined library catalog of many units within the National Park Service. Some bibliographic citations contain links to the full-text materials.
- National Register of Historic Places
- National Wildlife Refuge
This page links to graphics, species information, laws, and more.
This site provides a searchable database of recreational opportunities on federal lands. Choose a state and recreation activity. The database will generate a list of relevant parks, forests, and other facilities. The individual entries include a description of the site, link to the agency which manages it, links to interactive mapping from the National Atlas and a current weather report.
International Organization Information
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- FAO Forestry Division offers country profiles and links to databases
- FAOSTAT provides statistical information on forest growth, consumption, and other agricultural questions.
- Forestry Information Centre offers access to numerous free online publications dealing with forestry issues.
- Natural Resources Management and Environment focuses on sustainable agricultural development with regard to natural resources.
- State of the World's Forests is an annual report covering the forest cover of the whole world (paper copy in CU collection 1000 F17 St28wf, 1997-).
- Unasylva is an international journal of forestry (paper copy is in CU collection 1000 F17 Un1, Vol. 11- ).
- Timber Publications
This web page lists publications from the UN Economic Commission for Europe and the FAO. It contains links to the papers in PDF format.
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre
- United Nations List of Protected Areas
This is the definitive list of the world's national parks and reserves.
- International Policy
This is a collection of treaties and other international agreements.
- World Database on Protected Areas
- UNESCO World Heritage Centre
U.S. Information | International Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
- Global Forest Information Service
- International Union of Forest Research Organizations
- Species in Parks Flora and Fauna Databases
"The Information Center of the Environment, in conjunction with the National Park Service, has developed a preliminary database of vascular plant and vertebrate animal species within lands owned by the U.S. National Park Service. " Browse by park or species name.
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on parks, forests, wildlife refuges and historic places available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook , the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources parks and statistics parks and statistics wetlands and histor* wetlands and histor* forest* and politic* forest* and politic*
(government publications only)
(government publications only)
The * replaces up to five characters in a word.