Trade InformationU.S. Information | International Information | Nongovernmental Sources | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
U.S. Government Information
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
This agency includes international information relative to U.S. economic position in the world.
- Bureau of Industry and Security
The agency which controls exports to guard national security interests.
Information, forms, and assistance on businesses in the United States.
- Census Bureau Foreign Trade Statistics
- Customs and Border Protection
This agency's mission is to "manage, control and protect the Nation's borders, at and between the official ports of entry." Site includes a wide variety import/export information.
This "is the portal to all export-related assistance and market information offered by the federal government."
- Export-Import Bank of the United States
This bank provides working capital, direct loans, financing guarantees and export insurance products.
- Foreign Agricultural Service
Collects and analyzes global supply and demand, trade trends and market opportunities for agricultural products.
GATS includes international agricultural, fish, forest and textile products trade statistics dating from the inception of the Harmonized coding system in 1989 to present.
- Foreign Agricultural Trade of the United States
A statistical database that includes 211 commodity groups, over 250 countries and regions, and 11 years of data.
- International Trade Administration
Features Trade Statistics, most frequently asked trade questions, and market-oriented information for countries and regions.
- Trade Compliance Center features a Trade and Related Agreements Database (TARA), market access information and a trade complaint hotline. Country Market Research provides one-stop access to Country Commercial Guides, Country Reports on Economic Policy and Trade Practices, National Trade Estimate Reports, and Trade Policy Review Summaries.
- TradeStats Express displays the latest annual U.S. merchandise trade statistics on the national and state levels. This site lets you cutomize maps, graphs and tables of exports, imports, and trade balances.
- International Trade Commission
Independent, quasi-judicial federal agency that provides objective trade expertise to both the legislative and executive branches of government, determines the impact of imports on U.S. industries, and directs actions against certain unfair trade practices, such as patent, trademark, and copyright infringement.
- Tariff and Trade Dataweb provides access to several interactive databases, including Tariff Schedules (HST) and trade data.
- Office of Foreign Assets Control
"The Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorism sponsoring organizations and international narcotics traffickers based on U.S. foreign policy and national security goals. OFAC acts under Presidential wartime and national emergency powers, as well as authority granted by specific legislation, to impose controls on transactions and freeze foreign assets under U.S. jurisdiction. Many of the sanctions are based on United Nations and other international mandates, are multilateral in scope, and involve close cooperation with allied governments." The site includes summaries of sanctions against specific countries (such as Libya and Iran), regulations, and lists of designated nationals and blocked persons.
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation
Key U.S. government agency encouraging American private business investment in developing countries, newly emerging democracies and free market economies.
- State Department
- Doing Business in International Markets
- Trade Policy and Programs contains information on U.S. trade policy in specific sectors (energy, transportation and others), lists of trade contacts and trade events.
- USDA Economics, Statistics, and Market Information System
Includes information about International Trade in Agricultural Products.
- U.S. Commercial Service
The Commercial Service is the global business solutions unit of the Department of Commerce.
- U.S. Trade and Development Agency
"The U.S. Trade and Development Agency assists in the creation of jobs for Americans by helping U.S. companies pursue overseas business opportunities. Through the funding of feasibility studies, orientation visits, specialized training grants, business workshops, and various forms of technical assistance, we enable American businesses to compete for infrastructure and industrial projects in middle-income and developing countries."
- U.S. Trade Representative
Provides information on the impact of international trading practices and updates on trade negotiations. The agency also provides a number of full text reports, including the National Trade Estimate Report on Foreign Trade Barriers, a country-by-country discussion of import restrictions and bans, intellectual property issues, and other topics. See the Reports menu.
- Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Agreements Database (APTIAD)
This database from the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) is searchable by title, keywords, country, agreement status, and type of agreement.
- EU Business
Includes information on EU law, business developments, finance, EU programmes by industry sector, current awareness for Commission proposals, progress reports on draft legislation, country-specific information, information on doing business in EU countries, and other features.
- Free Trade Area of the Americas
Official home page of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) process. This site contains documents from the process initiated in the 1994 Summit of the Americas to integrate the economies of the Western Hemisphere into a single free trade arrangement. The site provides documents and downloadable trade data. Information is available in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- International Trade Centre
An affiliate of WTO and UNCTAD, the site provides a wide variety of information including trade statistics, national trade performances, bibliographies, lists of organizations and other information.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
From Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
- Market Access Database
Database, provided by the European Union, which lists trade barrier and policies by country for certain economic sectors. While the emphasis is European, contains information of interest for trade nations outside of Europe.
- NAFTA Secretariat
"The NAFTA Secretariat, comprised of the Canadian, U.S. and Mexican Sections, is an unique organization, established by the Free Trade Commission, pursuant to Article 2002, Chapter 20 of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It is responsible for the administration of the dispute settlement provisions of the Agreement."
- Organization of American States (OAS) Foreign Trade Information System
Provides access to position papers, statistical data, trade agreements, and other information.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- OECD Trade
This page provides access to freely available data from the OECD on trade.
- Reports and Statistics are Available from the OECD iLibrary CU
- Production Statistics Database (Prodcom)
Database of European production statistics based on a classification of goods called the Prodcom list.
- Trade Data Online from Industry Canada
(Canada's Business and Consumer site).
Searchable database of U.S. and Canadian imports and exports to 200 countries. Includes a search by SIC code or six-digit harmonized codes. Data available on a provincial level for Canadian trade. Data can be displayed online, graphed, or downloaded in comma-delimited ASCII format. See the Main Menu for additional trade information including Trade and Investment, Market Research and other information. The site focuses on Canada but includes much information derived from the U.S. National Trade Data Bank (a component of Stat-USA).
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
- World Bank
- World Trade Organization
This international organization deals with the rules of trade between nations.
- International Trade Statistics this page allows the user to search for specific WTO statistics on international trade in merchandise and commercial services.
- Trade Topics browse these topics for reports and statistics on trade information from the WTO.
- UN Commodity Trade Statistics Database (UN Comtrade) CU
This database covers more than 90% and maybe even as much as 95% of world trade, including five key variables: reporter, commodity, partner, year and trade flow (import, exports or re-exports). Coverage for some areas is from 1962 to the present.
From Olsen & Associates includes exchange rate data from Jan. 1, 1990 to the present for 164 currencies.
- GATT Digital Library
Provides access to documents and information about the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), an organization that promoted international commerce and the reduction of trade barriers among member states from 1947-1994.
- Lex Mercatoria (alias the International Trade Law Monitor ITLM --also referred to
as ITL & ITM)
"The LM presents the full texts and where relevant country implementation details of several of the most important conventions and other documents used in international trade and commerce ."
- Taric s.a. Centro de Documentación y Gestión de Comercio Exterior
Provides access to the tariff schedules of the European Union. Search by word or tariff code. Although much of the site is only available in Spanish, the site provides an English edition of the tariff database.
- Trade and Environment Database
Case studies by country.
Provides access legal texts, reports and awards from GATT/WTO and other bodies. In addition, it provides links to government agencies by country, international organizations, tariff schedules, industry groups, and trade law news from the Economist, the Financial Times, and other sources. The site features a search for GATT/WTO panel and Appellate Body reports.
Resources in the Catalog
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on trade available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook , the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources trade and histor* trade and histor* trade and politic* trade and politic* trade and econom* trade and econom*
(government publications only)
(government publications only)
The * replaces up to five characters in a word.