Travel InformationU.S. Information | International Information | Nongovernmental Sources | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
U.S. Government Information
- American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920, from the Library of Congress American Memory, "comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American peoples, places, and society from about 1750 to 1920."
- Aviation Consumer Protect Division has rules and regulations on air travel.
- Air Travel Consumer Report information on the number of delays, mishandled baggage, oversales and consumer complaints.
- Links to Aviation Customer Service Plans
- Currency Exchange Rates
- Customs and Border Protection Travel Spotlight
- Federal Citizen Information Center - Travel Publications
- Flight Delay Information - Air Traffic Control System Command Center shows real-time air traffic advisories and airport status.
- National Household Travel Survey (NHTS) is a survey that gathers trip-related data such as mode of transportation, duration, distance and purpose of trip. NHTS collects data on both long-distance and local travel by the American public.
- National Park Service Office of Tourism
- National Register of Historic Places Travel Itineraries provides itineraries to historic places listed in the National Register. Includes description, tourist information, interactive maps, vintage photos, and links to related web sites
- National Scenic Byways Program, part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, is a national effort to recognize, preserve and enhance selected roads throughout the United States. Byways are chosen for based on one or more archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational and scenic qualities.
- Office of Travel and Tourism Industries National Tourism Office of the United States.
- Travel and Tourism Research Programs collects, analyzes, and disseminates international travel and tourism statistics for the U.S. Travel and Tourism Statistical System.
- Recreation.gov links to all federal and some state recreation sites in the United States.
- Rural Information Center - Tourism in Rural Areas
- Transportation Security Administration - For Travelers This agency's mission is to protect "the Nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce." This site contains useful resources such as a list of prohibited items.
- Travel and Tourism Sites for the 50 States and U.S. Territories
- Travel.State.Gov is the State Department's travel page. There is information on getting a Passport, Visas, Travel Warnings and other facts for international travel.
- Consular Information Sheets country profiles with information on entry/exit requirements, safety and security (travel warnings), crime and victims of crime, medical facilities and health information, medical insurance, traffic safety and road conditions, aviation safety oversight, special circumstances, criminal penalties, children's issues, and registration/embassy location.
- Passport Acceptance Facility Search allows you to search for the nearest location to apply for a passport.
- Passport Application Status allows you to check the status of your application online.
- Travel Registration "is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Americans residing abroad can also get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate."
- Travelers' Health, provided by the Center for Disease Control, has information on health issues in specific countries along with suggested immunizations
International Organization Information
- OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs and Local Development - Tourism Committee
- Tour Operators' Initiative for Sustainable Tourism Development is a United Nations initiative promoting positive environmental, social and economic tour operations.
- Travel and Tourism Research Association is an "international professional organization comprised of providers and users of travel and tourism research which serves as a primary resource to the travel and tourism industry."
- Traveling in Europe from the European Union,
- United Nations Environment Programme - Sustainable Tourism
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) promotes the "development of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism, paying particular attention to the interests of developing countries."
- World Health Organization International Travel and Health provides information on the main health risks for international travelers. Includes information on required vaccines by country.
- World Travel and Tourism Council is a private organization comprised of presidents, CEOs, and chairpersons of travel and tourism companies. WTTC works with governments around the world to promote tourism.
- World Weather Information Service from the World Meteorological Association.
- Foreign Languages for Travelers: an interactive multilingual phrasebook with audio.
- Lonely Planet travel guides.
- State Tourism Offices
- Time Zone Converter
- Virtual Tourist links to information by global region.
Resources in the Catalog
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on trade available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook , the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources (travel or tourism) and histor* (travel or tourism) and histor* (travel or tourism) and politic* (travel or tourism) and politic* (travel or tourism) and econom* (travel or tourism) and econom*
(government publications only)
(government publications only)
The * replaces up to five characters in a word.