TreatiesU.S. Information | International Information | Nongovernmental Sources | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
U.S. Government Information
- Department of State
- Arms Control Treaties and Agreements is a permanent electronic archive of Treaties and Agreements released prior to January 20, 2001.
- Office of the Assistant Legal Adviser for Treaty Affairs is the principal U.S. government repository for U.S. treaties and other international agreements.
- Treaties in Force lists treaties and international agreements to which the United States is currently a party.
- Statutes at Large
Laws and treaties approved by Congress and signed by the president. Until 1948, treaties and international agreements approved by the Senate were also published in the Statutes at Large.
- Treaties and Agreements Library CU
Comprehensive online collection from HeinOnline of image-based U.S. treaties and other international agreements to which the United States has been a party. Official treaty publications include:
- United States Treaties and Other International Agreements (UST): Secretary of State Vols. 1-35 (1950-1984)
- Treaties and Other International Acts Series (TIAS): Department of State TIAS 11060 to TIAS 12734 (1982-1996)
- KAV Agreements (Recent State Department Agreements, Senate Treaty Documents, Trade Agreements and others): Kavass, Igor I. KAV 0001-7861 (1987-2006)
- United States Senate Treaties
Listing of Senate's Treaties Received, Treaties Approved, and Treaties Reported for current legislative session.
- Senate Executive Reports includes reports of the Committee on Foreign Relations relating to Treaties between the United States and Foreign Nations which have been submitted to the U.S. Senate for ratification .
- Treaty Status (from THOMAS) search for treaties by congress, treaty number, keywords, type of treaty (i.e., arms control), or by date transmitted to Senate.
- Treaties in Force List of Treaties and Other International Agreements of the United States presently in Force. For historical copies of Treaties in Force dating back to 1929, please use HEIN Online CU.
- United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z
This IRS site provides information on income tax treaties by country. Also includes Tax Treaty Documents.
International Organization Information
- Bilateral Investment Treaties
Searchable database from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- Council of Europe Treaties
Provides the full text of European treaties on human rights, bioethics, environment, and other topics from 1949 to the present.
Searchable database, operated jointly by FAO, IUCN and UNEP, on treaties and international environmental law. Search by type of treaty/agreement, subject, keyword, country, region, year, date of entry into force, place of adoption, depositary, and language of document.
- European Union / European Communities Founding Treaties
Includes founding Treaties (original and updated versions), the amending Treaties, the Accession Treaties for each of the five enlargements, and other essential documents such as the Constitution.
- FAO - Conventions, Agreements, and Treaties|
Full-text treaties, conventions and agreements that have been deposited with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
- Hague Conference on Private International Law
"Presents general information concerning the Hague Conference as well as detailed and updated information on the Hague Conventions: text of the Conventions, full status reports, bibliographies, information regarding the authorities designated under the Conventions on judicial and administrative co-operation, explanatory reports, etc."
- Human Rights Treaty Bodies
Information on seven human rights treaty bodies from the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. Includes Treaty Body Document Search.
- International Humanitarian Law (International
Committee of the Red Cross)
Includes "91 treaties and texts, commentaries on the four Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols, an up-to-date list of signatures, ratifications relating to IHL treaties and full text of reservations."
- International Labour Organisation ILOLEX
Searchable database includes the full text of international labor conventions and recommendations, information about ratifications, and other full text documents.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
Information about NATO, an alliance between 26 North American and European countries. Includes basic texts from the Alliance.
- Organization of American States (OAS) Treaties and Agreements
Depository for all Inter-American treaties.
- Pacific Islands Treaty Series
Searchable treaty database that focuses on Pacific Regional and International Treaties that affect Pacific Island Countries. From the Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute.
- United Nations Environment Programme - Ozone Secretariat
- United Nations Treaty Collection CU
Provides access to the United Nations Treaty Series (UNTS), and Multilateral Treaties Deposited with the Secretary-General. User name and password for this database available at the Government Information Reference Desk.
- WIPO-Administered Treaties
Provides detailed information (including full-text) on all 24 treaties administered by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the WIPO Convention.
- World Trade Organization - Agreements
- Avalon Project
(Yale Law School)
Includes primary source materials relevant to the fields of law, history, economics, politics, diplomacy and government. Documents include the texts of many treaties and conventions.
- The Laws of War (Including the Geneva Conventions and Hague conferences)
- Treaties Between the United States and Native Americans
- Copyright and Fair Use International Treaties and Conventions (Stanford)
- Electronic Information System for International Law (EISIL)
- Environmental Treaties and Resource Indicators (ENTRI) (Columbia University)
Browsable and searchable full text, summaries, and status of treaties and other international agreements related to global environmental change. Search the relational database on a set of basic questions pertaining to international environmental agreements. The treaty texts browsable in alphabetical and chronological order and by subject. Also known as the Policy Instruments DataBase (PIDB).
- Human Rights Treaties (University of Minnesota Human Rights Library)
- Investment Treaty Arbitration (University of Victoria Faculty of Law)
- Lex Mercatoria (alias the International
Trade Law Monitor ITLM --also referred to as ITL & ITM)
"The LM presents the full texts and where relevant country implementation details of several of the most important conventions and other documents used in international trade and commerce."
- Multilaterals Treaty
Project (Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University)
Full-texts of international multilateral conventions and other instruments from 1945-present. Includes selected historical texts from 1648 forward.
- Oceana Treaties Index
Database searchable by title, subject, country and date.
- Tax Treaties CU
Tax treaties by country from BNATAX Management Library.
Detailed guide to researching multilateral and bilateral treaties prepared by Leanne Walther.
Resources in the Catalog
- The Library Catalog, Chinook
There are numerous secondary, federal, and international sources of information on trade available in the collection.
Try these searches to see some of the resources in Chinook , the library catalog:
Electronic Resources Print and Electronic Resources treaties and histor* treaties and histor* treaties and politic* treaties and politic* treaties and econom* treaties and econom*
(government publications only)
(government publications only)
The * replaces up to five characters in a word.