How do I...? Find Plays
Option 1: Use Chinook, the CU Library catalog:
- Author search: type in the playwright's name (last name, first)
- Keyword search: type in words from the title of the play or screenplay
- Title search: type in the exact title of the play or screenplay, omitting initial articles ("a", "the", "le" etc.)
Option 2: Use Indexes and Databases
Use print indexes and online databases to find collections, anthologies or periodicals in which the play you need has been published. Search by title, author or subject of the play in the following selected indexes:
Online Databases :
- Twentieth Century North American Drama:
Contains the full text of 2,000 plays written from the late 1800s to the present by more than 300 playwrights from North America. Many of the works are rare, hard-to-find, or out of print. Nearly a quarter of the collection will consist of previously unpublished plays.
- Humanities Abstracts/Full Text (1984 - present)
Print Indexes :
Title Call No. Location Years Covered Index to Plays in Periodicals Z5781 .K43 1990 Ref. Dept. Stacks 1977 - 1987 Ottemiller's Index to Plays... Z5781 .08 1988 Ref. Dept. Stacks 1900 - 1985 Play Index Z5781 .P53 Ref. Dept. Stacks 1949 - 1992
Once you locate the collection, anthology or periodical that contains the play:
- To find the collection or anthology in which a play appears, do a Title search in Chinook for the exact title of the collection or anthology.
- To find the periodical in which a play appears, use the Periodical Title search option in Chinook.
Updated 6/08 SA