As part of our Interlibrary Loan service, CU Libraries borrows materials that are not available in the CU Libraries from other libraries and vendors. This includes materials not owned by CU Libraries, as well as items that are checked out, lost or missing.
Prospector is a group of Colorado and Wyoming Libraries. Borrowing from Prospector Libraries is generally the quickest way to get books and media not available at CU.
Am I eligible?
Current CU faculty, staff and students may use this service.
What can I request?
We will try to obtain any type of library material. However textbooks, whole journal volumes, genealogical sources, unpublished manuscripts, and materials that are rare, fragile, or in high demand are often hard to get.
How do I place a request?
- First, check Chinook, the CU Libraries catalog
- If you cannot find what you need, look for the small Prospector icon in Chinook. By clicking on this icon, you can replicate your search in Prospector. When you find what you want, just choose the "Request Item" option and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Alternatively, you can search the Prospector catalog directly.
- If all copies of materials are checked-out a hold may be placed although books may not be recalled.
- You must select a pick-up location (Norlin or a branch library)
Plan ahead when requesting materials. Prospector requests should take 3-5 working days.
Where do I pick up my materials?
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for this service. However $100 will be charged for lost books ($75 lost book fee plus $25 processing charge)
How long can I check material out for?
Books generally check out for 21 days; video and sound recordings check out for shorter lengths of time. You are allowed to renew items once.
How many items can I check out?
You may request up to 70 items at any one time.
How do I return materials?
Please do NOT return them directly to the lending institution.
How do I get help with Prospector?