Library Resources for ENVD 4794Fall 2007
CU-Boulder University Libraries Resources
- Chinook: Use Chinook, the Libraries' catalog, to search for maps, books, government documents (including comprehensive plans and more), and other library materials.
- Maps & books on reserve.
- Selected specific Map Library resources:
- Sanborn Maps: Building Colorado Story by Story: the Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection
- Historical newspaper research:
Colorado's Historic Newspaper Collection, 1859-1923, from the CDP.
- Digital images:
Electronic Library of Colorado Architecture Landscape and Planning (ELCALP)
CAP’s Image Collection: Search nearly 39,000 images. Logon = guest, Password = guest. For advanced uses please visit the CAP’s Visual Resources Center in ENVD 305.
Aerial photograph atlases of Denver 1989-2003. (Map Library atlas collection.)
Digital aerial photographs of Denver, color, 2005. (On Map Library public GIS computer hard drive. Bring a CD/DVD or flash drive.)
Digital aerial photographs of Denver, black and white, 1990s-2000s. (DOQQs on CD-ROM. )
(Notes on Map Library Resources: Almost all of our maps can be checked out. Rare, old, or fragile maps may not. Many of these may be photocopied; others may only be photographed. Some of our collections may only be accessed when Map Library staff are present, generally from 8:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.)
Historical city maps, detailed at the block and building level, that show residential, commercial, and industrial uses of sites, building footprints, potential environmental hazards, and construction details of structures.
Search the easy-to-use geographic interface website
Search textually and export high-resoulution maps, using the collection in the Luna Insight Java Client. The java client is available on all Libraries' computers under Digital Asset Library (DIAL), in the ENVD computer labs, and available for download to your own computer.
We have scanned most of the Sanborn maps of Denver. There is one set, from 1929, that is only avaialble in print. Please call or email us to make an appointment to see these. Photographs only (no copying). Microfilm of all years is also available for easy copying (black and white only).
More information about our Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection.
- Government Publications Library: Government reports, plans, documents, census information, government agency reports, and more.
- Research & Subject Guides
- How do I...?
Searching & Evaluating Web Sites
What do you need to know to determine whether a Web site is a reliable source?
- Credibility of Author - Who is the author? Is the author affiliated with an academic institution? If you cannot find an author you need to find out who is responsible for the Web page. Look for a Mission Statement or Contact Information.
- Validity of the Web site - How do you know if the Web site you are using is supplying valid information? Does the information on the Web site match the mission statement? Is the site honest about it's sources and purposes?
- Scholarly or Popular - What is the difference between a scholarly and a popular Web site? Are there sources cited? Is the author affiliated with an academic institution?
- Example: MartinLutherKing.org
- City and County of Denver: Denver Maps. Interactive maps of Denver property, land survey, recreation, and more. Overlay with aerial photographs and more.
- DRCOG Maps & Data (Denver Council of Regional Governments): Selected maps and data on the region's community, transportation systems, environment, and more.
- CDP Heritage West Collection: Search for digital photographs, maps, and more.
- Environmental Issues:TOXMAPS (Environmental health maps from the National Library of Medicine) & Search Your Community (maps, facts, and watershed information from the EPA).
- Online Current Maps & Online Historical Maps : authoritative websites to begin searching for online maps, chosen by Map Library staff.
- How to Cite Maps
- Other Map Library Links & Web Resources
Other Libraries & Government Agencies to Search
- City & County of Denver Community Planning & Development Current citywide comprenhensive plan & area and neighborhood plans and zoning information. Search for historical comprehensive plans in Chinook or Denver Public Library's catalog.
Denver Public Library Western History & Genealogy
Digital Image Collection
Maps & Atlases Collection
Colorado Historical Society Library
Historical documents, maps, images.
Accessing Library Resources from Off-Campus
The easiest method of accessing library databases from off campus is through the use of the VPN (Virtual Private Network). Current CU-Boulder students, staff, and faculty need to install the VPN software on their computer and login to the VPN using their IdentiKey account. Complete instructions on downloading and using the VPN software can be found at the ITS VPN Information Page. For questions (and answers) about using the VPN, please call the ITS Help Desk at (303) 735-HELP.