Search below to find topographic maps. Return to the Map Library main page to search for maps by topic.
- U.S. (In the library)
- U.S. (online)
- International (online)
- Gazetteers (online)
- City of Boulder: The Map Library has maps from the City of Boulder that show topography for the city at a 1:100 scale. There is a small amount of coverage for outside city limits, 1:200.
- U.S.: The Map Library has the USGS topographic map series, 1:24,000, 1:100,000, 1:250,000 for Colorado and all U.S. states. Older editions of USGS topographic maps (from the 1880s through the 1960s) are also available.
- International: The Map Library has sets for many countries published by the Army Map Service. Additionally, our collection includes topographic maps for some countries published by those governments.
- World: The Map Library has complete coverage of the world at 1:5,000,000 and 1:2,000,000 and maps at 1:1,000,000 and 1:500,000 for most of the world. The 1:250,000 set is partially complete and growing. Some of these maps are available digitally.
- Many tourist, road, and recreational maps include topography. You may consider including these types of maps in your search.
- You can also search for "topographic maps" in the genre field of the Chinook Classic catalog. See the image for an example.
If you need any additional help finding topographic maps, please contact the Map Library.
A helpful guide written by Emily Wild of the USGS Denvery Library.
Interactive mapping that provides access to historical and current topograhpic maps.
Elevation: Contours, Elevation, Natural Earth, Satelite View, Shaded Relief...
scanned by the Perry-Castañeda Library, University of Texas at Austin
Maptech Map Server
Search, view, and print U.S. topographic, aeronautical, and nautical maps and charts for free. Can pan seamlessly to adjacent USGS quad maps. Fun Tools Option allows users to create their own maps.
Displays transparent USGS quadrangle layer on Google Earth
Scanned maps from the University of Texas at Austin.
Geoscience Australia (part of the Australian government) also has geologic data.
Great Britain's National Mapping Agency.
Ordnance Survey Maps of England Scotland, and Wales – 19th century and early 20th century.
Israel : המרכז למיפוי ישראל
Survey of Israel webpage (in Hebrew) Includes online topographic sets at 1:100,000, 1:200,000, 1:400,000.
Interactive maps from INEGI, includes topography, hydrography, geology.
Poland (Museum of Family History Maproom)
More than one hundred topographic maps of various regions in Poland, along with some from Belarus and the Ukraine – all dated between WWI and WWII.
Find, view and print the 'NZTopo' Topographic Map Series.
A gazetteer can help identify a placename which can be used when searching current and historical maps.
GNIS: Geographic Names Information System (U.S.)
The Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) is a gazetteer of place names in the United States. The database includes all named features on the U.S. Geological Survey 7.5' topographic map series (for example, populated places, streams, bodies of water, summits, buildings, forests, glaciers, cemeteries, etc.).
The GEOnet Names Server (GNS) (also hosted by GNIS) provides access to the National Imagery and Mapping Agency's (NIMA) database of foreign geographic feature names. The database is arranged by country, and is based on the Board on Geographic Names gazetteers.