January 8, 2010
The Chinook Oversight Group (COG) has completed the review file reallocations. COG also made some changes in the way we use lists. Please read below for explanation of the new structure. Please contact any COG member if you have questions or concerns. Please note that Paul Moeller is standing in for Jina in this regard.
In our discussions, the major problems we identified with the current structure of the lists were that we had too few large lists, and the size of assigned lists often did not match the need, resulting in lots of larger lists being used for small lists, exacerbating the crowding in larger lists. Also identified as a problem was that some people habitually ignore the assignments in favor of finding a list that is the right size and empty. To address these issues:
- We decided to make all lists of all size unassigned so that everyone can simply use an open list that is the appropriate size for their need.
- We've added several large lists while still retaining a significant amount of small lists, which should help assure that the size list you need is available.
- Lists will be arranged now by size.
- Since all lists are open to everyone, we ask that everyone make a point of not leaving a list they are no longer using. COG will also be more frequently going through and deleting anything old (after giving warning).
- To facilitate this, we are asking everyone to create lists in Millennium, since this automatically inserts initials and date.
- COG will reevaluate this structure in 6 months.
Here is a summary of what lists we have of what sizes.
# of lists