Libraries Information Technology Department
University Libraries personnel will be prompted to change Windows passwords once every 6 months.
- While you are logged on to your computer, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete at the same time.
- You will see the Windows Security window.
- Click "Change Password. . .".
- You will see the Change Password window.
- Enter your old password.
- Enter a new password.
- Enter the new password again for confirmation.
- Click OK.
- The system will respond with the message “Your password has been changed.”
- Log off your computer and log in again using your new password: Click on the start menu > click "shutdown" > select "logoff" in the dropdwon menu.
- Log in using your new password.
Choosing a Password
- Passwords must contain:
6 or more characters
A mix of lower and upper-case letters, numbers, and punctuation marks
examples: rNc374, _n3Wp_
- Passwords should not contain:
Dictionary words in any form
Personal names or login names
Proper nouns, including geographic locations
3 or more consecutive repeated characters
examples: trEetop, smithj, Colorado, aaa
- Do not store passwords on post-it notes stuck to computer monitors